5 Benefits of Asphalt Paving
As Minneapolis’s premier asphalt paving company, we’re often asked why asphalt is the paving material we recommend to our customers. Our asphalt paving contractors have years of experience in the field and are confident that asphalt is the answer when it comes to paving parking lots or . Here are some fast facts about asphalt to show you why.
What is asphalt made of?
Asphalt is typically made of stone, gravel, and sand, with a small amount of asphalt cement to bind them together. Most of the asphalt we use today is processed from petroleum. However, asphalt can still be found by itself in nature. When an oil refinery receives petroleum, they divide it into different layers based on weight. Since asphalt is the heaviest, it sinks to the bottom.
Once asphalt has been separated, it must be changed in order to get the right consistency forasphalt paving. Asphalt goes through different processes depending on whether it is meant for hot- or cold-mix. Like the name suggests, hot-mix asphalt is made by heating asphalt to a temperature between 200 and 350 degrees Fahrenheit and mixing it.
The high temperatures make asphalt more fluid and evaporate any remaining moisture. Hot-mix asphalt must then be kept hot so it can be properly compacted and installed. Since hot-mix asphalt needs to be installed while hot, it is best for summer paving projects.
Cold-mix asphalt is kept soft because it is made out of quarter inch chip and proprietary oil. Since cold-mix asphalt is able to repel water, it can be installed successfully in wet weather. Cold-mix asphalt also doesn’t need to be kept hot to repair asphalt potholes and cracks. Manyasphalt contractors use cold-mix asphaltfor pavement repairs that can’t wait until summer.
What are the benefits of asphalt paving?
There are many benefits of asphalt paving, which are listed below for your convenience.
- 100% Recyclable: Did you know that asphalt is 100% recyclable? This means thatasphalt millings and chunks can be recycled and reused to pave other driveways, parking lots, and roads.
- According to the Federal Highway Administration,asphalt recycling keeps 75 million tons of asphalt out of our landfills. Recycled asphalt is just as durable as virgin asphalt, but less expensive.
- Long Lasting: Given proper maintenance, asphalt driveways and parking lots can last up to 20 years. To asphalt crack filling, and pothole repair. , we recommend investing in services like sealcoating,
- Winter Weather Resistant: Along with being long lasting, asphalt is also more flexible than concrete and generally does better in the winter months due being less vulnerable to salt and ice melting.
- Less Noise Pollution: Driving on asphalt creates less noise compared to driving on other types of pavements, which is why it is a popular choice for densely populated areas.
- In residential neighborhoods, people appreciate efforts made to reduce noise pollution as excess noise increases stress.
- More Contrast between Pavement and Markings: Black asphalt creates a good contrast with pavement markings, making roadways and parking lots safer for motorists.
- For example, it’s important that pavement markings for railroad crossings are clearly marked.
At ACT Asphalt Specialties, our Minneapolis, MN asphalt paving contractors are confident in the work that we do. We offer a wide range of asphalt services and are happy to answer any questions you may have. If you’d like to learn about our asphalt services, call our office at (651) 484-1696toget a free estimate.
This blog post has been updated.